The holiday exhibit at the Botanic Gardens re-created the monuments and other national parks in plant form. The attention to detail was impressive; they even included the lights at the top of the Washington Monument.
Before the new year, I was thinking about what I had (and hadn’t) accomplished in 2016. At first, I was inclined to think I hadn’t done much at all, given the amount of time I’ve spent in front of the TV. But then I realized that I did quite a few things in 2016:
- I moved to Alexandria, Virginia.
- I have a job that I love.
- I made new friends, thanks to Meetup groups and Craigslist.
- I learned to parallel park. Not too long ago, I was terrified of parallel parking. Now I parallel park on most days.
- I started to use my camera more.
- I visited Colonial Williamsburg, twice. It had been on my bucket list for years. At one point, I stopped listening to their podcast because it made me want to visit too badly.
- Ben and I downsized our apartment. In Buffalo, we had a 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment, and after awhile, the second bedroom was completely empty. We just didn’t need the space.
- I found a hairstylist who I really like.
- I started Invisalign (my own fault for not wearing my retainer, but at least I’m making up for it now).
- We downsized to one car. It’s such a relief to only have to maintain one vehicle.
So while I may be a couch potato, I did reach some of my goals.
In 2017, I aim to practice yoga, vacation in England, learn to cook and take kayaking lessons. I also want to become comfortable driving in DC. I’ve driven in the city four times. I can’t say that they were all without incident.